The main objectives of the Centre for Encephalopathies and Emerging Transmissible Diseases are to carry out reference research and diagnosis in the field of Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathies (TSEs), as well as other emerging transmissible animal diseases of increasing importance at present and in the future.
- These are the objectives of the centre:
- To carry out research work in the field of animal diseases, and in particular in transmissible spongiform encephalopathies.
- To carry out reference diagnosis in this group of diseases.
- Collaborate with European, state and regional administrations in the preparation and implementation of surveillance and control plans for these diseases.
- To cooperate with companies interested in carrying out applied research work in the field of the subjects studied at the centre.
- To provide postgraduate training programmes in the subjects covered by its activities.
- To carry out permanent training and specialisation plans in the field of animal diseases for professionals in the biomedical field who are interested.
- To inform about this group of diseases to the media and citizens interested in them and their consequences.
The Centre is:
- OIE Reference Laboratory for Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) and Scrapie
- Reference Laboratory for Transmissible spongiform encephalopathies of Aragon.
- Autonomous Reference Laboratory for Lentiviral Diseases in Aragon.
- Research and Advisory Centre on Transmissible spongiform encephalopathies of the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food.
- Laboratory appointed by the General Directorate of Public Health of the Health Department of the Government of Aragon for the diagnosis of Rabies.
- Associated Laboratory to the National Reference Laboratory for the dagnosis of Rabies of the Institute Carlos III.
- Associated Laboratory of the Spanish Agency for Food Safety and Nutrition.
- Associated Laboratory of the Aragonese Agency for Food Safety.